Each year, Associated Construction Contractors of New Jersey (ACCNJ) sponsors Safety Day to generate public awareness of the dangers accompanying construction. The Union Contractors in the organization recognize this day as an opportunity to reiterate the message, “safety comes first.”
ACCNJ, labor partners and member companies, like RCC, joined forces to emphasize safety at New Jersey Construction sites across the state with the goal to raise public awareness of the dangers that exist for construction workers as they build railways, roads and structures and to refocus the attention of workers on the key elements of staying safe while on the job.
On April 19, 2017, before the Navy’s daily 0800 ceremonious playing of the Star Spangled Banner, Railroad Construction Company, Inc. was already well underway honoring ACCNJ Safety Day at the US Naval Weapons Station Earle in Colts Neck, NJ.
ACCNJ Executive Operating Director, Jill Schiff joined the RCC crew and RCC Safety Team Representatives, Brian Lane and Barney Collins who started the day with, “SAFETY AWARENESS is NOT only TODAY but EVERYDAY, at work, driving and at home.” Additional topics included:
- It only takes one second for something to go wrong and you must be alert at all times.
- Short cuts compromise safety – don’t do it!
- Plan your work and take the time to do it right.
- Nationwide construction fatalities are too high, we need to bring the number to ZERO. RCC’s goal is ZERO incidents.
- Fatal Four: Falls, Electrocutions, Struck By and Crushed By incidents
- Avoid accidents and deaths by staying alert, knowing your surroundings and plan for possible “what ifs”
To conclude the briefing, Jill Schiff spoke about Safety Day throughout the state and that all ACCNJ member companies were participating and many of the member companies, such as RCC invest a large amount of money each year for co-worker training and educational programs.
Remember, safety is everyone’s responsibility. Safety is your responsibility. Safety is my responsibility.
Pictured (left to right) Tony Matos, Barney Collins, Mike Daloisio, Hiram Moure, Pedro Mendoza, Luis Sanabria, Sam Caparso, Mark Berrocal, Mark Mooney, Felix Chavez, Brian Lane, Joe Daloisio and Greg Fallon